Thursday, 8 November 2012

SEO... when you're a struggling, one person small business

Right, SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION, you've all heard the term and know roughly what it means. You know that it's all about keywords and rankings but that's about it. For some reason, most of us in small business are still a bit clueless about what it really entails, how much it costs for someone else to do it and why on earth we avoid it for so long. 




I've been running several small businesses for 2 years now and have happily had my head in the sand up until now. So what made me change my tune and start to research it? Well i guess for me it is all about taking things to that next level. I feel like i have done everything on my own for such a long time and have finally jumped off the cliff and started outsourcing a few things. I now have a cleaner once a week, an intern part time and business partner in our kids parties side of things. 

OK, i think to myself, time to get more serious and take this baby to "profitsville" before i end up bankrupt. SEO seems like just about the only thing i haven't tried so far so let's give that a crack and hopefully that will just magically make everything start selling better and life will be sweet. 




So my next step is to jump on google and find myself an SEO consultant. In my head i'm thinking maybe like AUD$2000 or something as a one off fee. Turns out, you can't really just do it once and then expect to stay high in the rankings of the almighty Google. Apparently  you also have to take out a "monthly plan" which starts from around $400 per month. Now that may not seem that exorbitant to you (or you may already be sheding in your pants), but my main business is in a VERY competitive industry, ie children's clothing, toys and gifts and there are around 2,000 products on my website. So for me to really have effective SEO management i'm looking at a set up fee of anywhere from $2000 to $8000 and a monthly plan of around $2000. 

....... cue crouching into the fetal position and rocking. 





Anyway, i could stay in that fetal position forever OR get off my butt and figure out a way to do it myself. Now i must admit, i am a bit of a techy geek so for me, as long as i teach myself how to do it and find an extra 12 hours up my sleeve every day for a month, this seems achievable. For  those of you that aren't quite so technically "elegant", i wanted to write some basic layman's tips on how to start implementing this into your everyday business life. 


THE LAYMAN'S SEO BASICS GUIDE

Step One: Get yourself a free Google Analytic's account to track what your website traffic does. In a month or two, jump on it and have a look around, it can be overwhelming but it will soon start to make sense and provide you with some really interesting info. Even if you can't make sense of it right now, it is super important to set it up as early as possible. I always set mine up as soon as i make a new site. 

Step Two: Set up a free Google Webmaster Tools account and learn how to use it. This will help you TELL Google to look at your site. Any time you add new info or a new product, you want Google to go have a look to see if you rank a little higher now. To tell Google to crawl your site, you want to submit your "site map". All the info on how to use Google Webmaster is easily learnt just by using it and following prompts. 

Step Three: Now that you have had a little play around with Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools, you will have learnt a bit more about what keywords are sending people to your site. The next step is to ask yourself, what is the ultimate 1- 5 keywords or key phrases that i "want" people to type into Google and up bings my website in top spot? 

For me, the top keywords are:
Kids clothing
Kids Toys
Baby Clothing
Baby Toys

Then there is also a whole bunch of secondary keywords that i think should be getting them there like: Melbourne, maternity, artwork, bedding, dolls, newborn, gifts, stationery, hair accessories, party products, kids shoes, craft, nursery, cot, swimwear, pyjamas, play rugs, etc. I could go on forever with the amount of products we stock.

Now you have to figure out how to get more of these keywords into your website LEGITIMATELY. You can't just copy and paste them from your word document, it all has to make sense and be RELEVANT to your products. Basically, don't try and cheat, just think KEYWORDS before you enter your next product or service title, description, page details etc. 

A good starting point is to make sure that each of your main page addresses contain good keywords. If you use a templated online website building system, usually the address will just be what ever title you initially give it. For example some of my pages used to be called:

www.kidsstylehub.com.au/shoes
www.kidsstylehub.com.au/bedroom

But a better way to name these pages using keywords for my industry is:

www.kidsstylehub.com.au/baby-and-kids-shoes
www.kidsstylehub.com.au/kids-bedroom-and-nursery

Step Four: Write a bloody blog! If you are that intelligent to start your own business then trust me, you are smart enough to write a blog. A blog is the second biggest tool for upping your ranking on google after keywords. Use a free platform like Google's blogger. Most people think "oh but who would want to hear what i have to say?" Forget about an audience, you can pretend your one and only audience member is the almighty Google and you write for his/her pleasure. The more you please him/her with keywords RELEVANT to your industry, the higher they will rank you on the leaderboard. 

The trick with a blog is not to hard sell. Just write about your work or your industry. If you're a plumber, write about funny plumbing stories or tips on keeping your plumbing in tip top condition. If you're a dance teacher, write about all the styles of dance. If you're a clothing retailer, write about what's hot in fashion. In all respects, pick something that you like, that way it's easier to write about.     

OK that's enough to make your head spin i know and there's plenty more to it than that. But before you reach for the phone and remortage your house to hire an SEO consultant, think about this... Why on earth would i pay someone to write words for my business (cause that's what SEO consultants do really) when no one knows my business better than me. 

Want to learn more? Google's own SEO GUIDE is straight from the horses mouth.

A very talented designer recently said to me "Race you to a million?" and we're talking profit per annum here..... My reply "Challenge accepted my friend, challenge accepted!"

Nicole Herrick
Head Honcho 
Kids Style Hub
www.kidsstylehub.com.au
KSH SHOP 436 Burwood Rd, Hawthorn, Melbourne

Founder 
The Australian Alliance of Designer and Retailers
www.aadr.net.au

110 comments:

  1. Good post Nicole .. I hope lots of people read it and *implement* these ideas.

    I'm happy you 'get it'at least .. blog on .. here's to your success! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it's a great article. Going down the road to good SEO is pretty complicated and takes a lot of effort.

      I'm with you on choosing the right business name, and not just one based around your kid's name.

      We chose HelloMaid! for our business since we wanted to be inviting (which we are) and pass on we do home cleaning in Sydney.

      We started in 2015 and will join you your quest for more business, we're looking forward to providing excellent service and thus great response in cleaning people's homes!

      https://hellomaid.com.au

      Cheers! Jason

      Delete
  2. Learn so much from these, thanks for posting. It's really very hard on owning a business and got no enough people to work with, its really depressing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so well Nicole .. obviously a woman of many talents .. we need to get this blog in front of more faces Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice posting "kids-google-swim-set " .. This is the first time I have come across your-site. Post info, I’ll be back soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TCloud Technologies provides training programs with an outlook towards future. Our vision is to conduct forward-thinking telecom research and provide education and telecom training opportunity for industry professionals around the world.We are a team of few aspiring minds who had worked extensively in telecom domain for the past 7-10 years". No one can match us in our material, faculty and service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice posting Kids Collection 2013 This is the first time I have come across your-site. Post info, I’ll be back soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seo when you are struggling one person. Good information

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the sharing. Excellent your Ecommerce Development related goods Webdesign & Development solution in Singapore by i-concept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u...

    SEO Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s really great post. I would like to appreciate your work and would like to tell to my friends. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s technology that brings new things to our life. It’s through technology that we are able to connect with our loved ones on the other side of the world and allow loving relationships to transcend geographical boundaries. Each one is more than eager to use a new product or service to improve their lifestyle. Online stores even resort to aggressive marketing techniques to make their products visible and usable. One of these aggressive techniques is SEO. SEO is designed to increase online brand visibility without the loss of time by using backlinks to bring the customer to the desired destination. Apart from links, it is also important to note that graphics also play a huge role in marketing a website. Websites need attention too, and this attention is only generated when there is attraction. And attraction is created by graphics, which improve the creativity and innovation of web developers.

    Lyndia Blue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blogging and commenting on blogs related to your business helps you to reach out to your target market because you get to interact with potential and loyal customers. SEO marketing on the other hand, helps in gaining accessibility for people to find you in search engines for products or services that your business offers.

    Bryan Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really helpful tips for applying SEO to small businesses. I agree that applying SEO in blogging about things that are related and relevant to your business helps in increasing your chances in searchability on Google and other search engines.

    Lesli Dyson

    ReplyDelete
  16. TCloud Technologies provides training programs with an outlook towards future. Our vision is to conduct forward-thinking telecom research and provide education and telecom training opportunity for industry professionals around the world.We are a team of few aspiring minds who had worked extensively in telecom domain for the past 7-10 years". No one can match us in our material, faculty and servic
    Kids Shopping Cart

    ReplyDelete
  17. Basically seo is also used to advertising purpose in the business.It gives some details about the seo steps and how to follow the seo steps. Seo Company Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice tips. Thanks for sharing the information.
    seo optimization Canada

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job friend! keep sharing with us.
    webkech seo

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a very useful information about the SEO for the struggling business. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. SEO
    Hi There, I just spent a little time reading through your posts, which I found entirely by mistake whilst researching one of my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I

    would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is

    there a way to subscribe to your site via email?



    web designers in singapore

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good stuff. It is interesting to read comments.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The information that you provided was thorough and helpful. I will have to share your article with others.
    thue dj tai ha noi

    ReplyDelete
  25. The blog is absolutely fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need. Thanks.
    seo in new zealand

    ReplyDelete
  26. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks...


    Website Design Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic..!!!. really informative..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. But think of if you added some great graphics or videos to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this site could undeniably be one of the best in its field. Superb blog! Also visit my website -
    online kids clothes
    designer kids clothes

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!


    Website Design Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing fabulous information. It' s my pleasure to read it.I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts... by OPS 571 Final Exam material provider

    ReplyDelete
  31. Search Engine optimization is the key tool for getting more promotions and leads for business.It is also boost up to gain the more visitors and getting more traffics to websites owners.
    Website Developers in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can say this is a great blog, since i always use to hear some thing about new.So i found here better work on posting new things about Search Engine Optimizatiob.So this made me to read more blogs from your site.Just saying thanks will not be enough of good clarity in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities may inspired others San Antonio Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your post has an excellent and motivating content. We are just happy with your current. You added actually helpful information tips.Online Home Based Business Opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a nice blog, you really provide me some great information. i am going to bookmark this blog, share with my friends and will definitely visit here again. Thanks for your article.
    Jimmy Wilson-Smallville S Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just definitely taking pleasure in every bit of this. This is the web site as well as nice discuss. I wish to many thanks. Good job! Anyone fellows do a great blog, and possess some great material.
    Online Home Based Business Opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a amazing written content, provided very much info in it, These type of posts keeps users desire for the posting, to have on sharing more……. Good luck.
    Top Home Based Business

    ReplyDelete
  38. I was extremely pleased to find this site. I needed to, I would like to show gratitude to superb post! I am positively enjoying every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you will post.
    Home Based Business Opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have liked over read your post. I want to thank you for this post!! And I have bookmarked you consider fresh stuff you post.
    Homebased Business Opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  40. This can be a great content. We are just about pleased your current good work. You add really helpful tips. Keep writing.
    Making Money Online From Home

    ReplyDelete
  41. Comfortable blog post. I just now stumbled upon blog and wished to say that I have really loved searching your blog posts.
    Best Home Based Business Opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have been receiving a lot of beneficial and informative material in your website.
    Home Based Business Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  43. I obtain a lots of information here and this is what me searching for. Thanks to your sharing. I have save this page for my upcoming reference.
    I have been receiving a lot of beneficial and informative material in your website.
    Top Home Based Business Opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  44. Good information here. I really enjoy looking at them daily. I've acquid a lot from them thank you so much for discussing this information. Thanks for sharing.
    Affordable Home Based Business Opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is the fantastic post. Provided a lot info in it, this kind of article keeps user interest in the
    Stop Living Paycheck to Paycheck

    ReplyDelete
  46. Nice information to home based business. SEO is nothing but bring website in Google search engine top position. By this we promote our self as well as outsourcing. Gaining income in home is the best. Website Development Company in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  47. The blog is absolutely fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need. Thanks.
    seo in new zealand

    ReplyDelete
  48. SEO is not only help to bring the website as top place in search engines.It should also help to convert from leads to business to the company.
    Website Development Company Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  49. it is an amazing helping guide for users, a way to generate different ideas. a simple business solution.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I get an extraordinary arrangement of staggering information here and this is the thing that I am chasing down. Thanks for sharing Porcelain Veneers Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  51. I was very happy to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great post!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it Porcelain Veneers

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u...



    Web Design Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  53. SEO seems like just about the only thing i haven't tried so far so let's give that a crack and hopefully that will just magically make everything start selling better and life will be sweet. SEO company

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am extremely grateful to you for this great content on blog. Thanks a lot for useful , information and blog . That's very nice. I will recommend all my friends on twitter and facebook.

    I think you do a great work here to post a nice blog . Really i like your blog . I will follow your blog.
    Thank you for everything . indeed I found a lot of things to read on this blog . Thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  55. Very easy site to navigate and very helpful advice. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  56. hello!,I really like your writing very much! percentage we keep in touch more about your post on AOL? I require an expert in this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that's you! Looking forward to see you.
    seo in new Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  57. Drupal website development projects, can be able to perform functionality to any sophisticated sites. So far we have launched dozens of Drupal stores as well as developing so many ongoing projects and we are ready to take on your project.
    Web Development Companies Bangalore | Website Designing Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  58. Your blog is really great! Your blog is great for anyone who wants to understand this subject more. SEO Services Provider

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thanks for sharing a nice blog for ! Website Design Singapore Website Design Singapore .

    ReplyDelete
  60. I've been running several small businesses for 2 years now and have happily had my head in the sand up until now. So what made me change my tune and start to research it? Well i guess for me it is all about taking things to that next level.
    Website design and development singapore |
    Website design and development dubai

    ReplyDelete
  61. Such an impressive post is this and i really get inspired after read this post.
    really thanks for sharing this post with us and keep on it..

    Business Card Designer Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  62. It is very Useful and effective guide for users who use SEO...

    Web Design Company Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  63. Such an impressive post is this and i really get inspired
    Web design halifax

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hello to all
    This site is very informative site , i was waiting for this kind of from the longest time. This site is very nice to read.
    I read your site by my interest.
    For more details please visit on this site:
    http://compulance.com.au/

    Thank

    ReplyDelete
  65. The blog is absolutely fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration..
    stone merchants Yorkshire

    ReplyDelete
  66. thank you for your explanation about SEO, it is very detailed !

    agar cepat hamil alat dapur info kesehatan

    ReplyDelete
  67. wow.. this blog is very useful to website declaration.

    http://toptenstuff.in/category/science-tech

    ReplyDelete
  68. Learn so much from these, thanks for posting.

    Gadget Review

    ReplyDelete
  69. I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post.
    Thanks for sharing this useful information.
    We know your time is very important.
    So, We will help you for finding many important website link that you need for every work.
    Just Bookmarks one website and get more website link .
    all important website link
    SEO Tools

    ReplyDelete
  70. Apple products are considered as the richest kids gadgets. An iPod, a phone, an internet mobile communicator… these are NOT three separate devices!
    15 Extreme Free iPhone Apps You Should Install

    ReplyDelete
  71. Wow how interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  72. You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.
    Web Design Rochester NY

    ReplyDelete
  73. I must say, that this has been one of the most interesting article I ever read

    ReplyDelete
  74. Actually its the very informative information for me....I have a learn the some information SEO...Thanks for the sharing the helpful information....SEO Company in Bangalore | SEO Services in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  75. Nice Informative Blog having nice sharing..
    SEO

    ReplyDelete
  76. nice tip that gives me a upper hand now on this blog www.hygist.com

    ReplyDelete
  77. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your article will find lots of helpful and informative tips.
    Arizona Logo Design

    ReplyDelete
  78. Definitely amazing, this is what promotion is expected to be like and what we as Guerilla Marketing organizations should want to make. Marketing that actually includes individuals. Really like it !call center ivr

    ReplyDelete
  79. This is really awesome. Full of knowledge and latest information about sms software live blog

    ReplyDelete
  80. IVR service is driving ivr administration supplier in USA with all component such as worker following framework and call recording administration. here is connection for more informationWoo commerce Plugin

    ReplyDelete
  81. I am a fond of graphic designing and always keep searching the new ideas about it. thanks for sharing about this topic. Keep sharing.Buzz Applications

    ReplyDelete

  82. What an awesome post, I just read it from start to end. Learned something new after a long time.


    SAP FICO Training in Chennai

    SAP SD training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  83. Thanks for sharing your insight on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Now you can get best sms plugin with affordable rates sms plugin

    ReplyDelete
  85. FI Digital, is best Digital Marketing Agency in Melbourne We provide SEO SEM services to give you targeted traffic for your business

    ReplyDelete
  86. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    lucky patcher l download lucky patcher l lucky patcher app l lucky patcher download l lucky patcher apk

    ReplyDelete
  87. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one.
    wings.io l wingsio l wings io l wingsio game l play wingsio

    ReplyDelete
  88. Nice! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing. Your blog posts are more interesting and impressive.
    facebook entrar l entrar facebook l entrar no facebook l entrar facebook direto l entrar facebook agora

    ReplyDelete
  89. I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me.I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
    baixar sonic dash l download sonic dash l sonic dash baixar l sonic dash game l sonic dash download

    ReplyDelete
  90. Great post Nicole .I trust loads of individuals read it and *implement* these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Easy site to explore and extremely accommodating exhortation. Much appreciated to such an extent

    ReplyDelete
  92. Great and useful article. Creating content frequently is very tough. Your points are forced me to move on. seo services in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  93. very informative information ...i learn some information about SEO...Thanks for the sharing the helpful information
    Website Designing Company in Delhi | Website Designing Company in Rohini | Website Designing Company in Kirti Nagar

    ReplyDelete